Social & Therapeutic Horticulture (certified course)
with LYNNE EVANS
Delivered to your home.
Scientifically proven long term relief from depression & anxiety.
would strongly recommend
"A little box of magic. POP BOX is a real pick-me-up. I couldn't recommend it more highly" - Dr Elizabeth Jordan
As featured in
What is it?
Did you know Gardening & Art have been used by Occupational Therapists for over 100 years in hospitals and community settings around the world? Working with 'live' plants that are responsive to care and attention has many psychological benefits and social rewards.
Gardening & Art have been proven to be:
- Two of the most effective activities for improving mental and physical health for people of all ages;
- Successful when used a alongside other treatment methods
How do these activities work?
- Reduces stress hormones and blood pressure
- Increases endorphins 'happy hormones'
- Offers a distraction from pain and physical discomfort
- Creative outlet for managing bereavement or living with a life limiting illness
- Increases dopamine levels which help with managing substance misuse
Both activities tick all of the 5 Wellbeing Principles used and prescribed by the NHS which are: (1) Connect with others (2) Keep learning (3) Be physically active (4) Give to others and (5) Be mindful.
Discovering the many benefits of gardening & art
How POP BOX is empowering mental & physical health
- Improve Physical Health - Gardening is a great way to get some regular physical exercise and improve muscle strength and stamina, which maintains coordination, flexibility and balance. Gardening offers mild to moderate exercise which has been shown to help reduce Body Mass Index (BMI).
- Improve Mental Health - Research shows that gardening leads to significant reductions in depression & anxiety, improved social functioning and helps prevent cognitive decline. Implementing creative activities into a daily routine helps to release any stress or sadness as these activities stimulate dopamine production, the feel-good chemical in our brain. The effects of working with plants can really help you discover your health and happiness again.
- Increase Emotional Wellbeing - Experience success growing from seeds can lead to an increase in self-esteem, feelings of competence, and spiritual connection.
- Promotes Self-Care and Compassion - Looking after plants is like looking after ourselves; it takes time and effort to thrive, so be kind to yourself and set aside time outdoors to do precisely what you want to do.
- Support Recovery - Gardening is widely used to support recovery from illness, injury and bereavement.
- Grow Your Own Healthy Diet - Research by the British Heart Association has shown that diets higher in plant foods and lower in animal foods may be linked to a lower risk of heart disease, stroke, or other cardiovascular disease, notably a 32% lower risk of cardiovascular disease. Fruit & Veg are also very important for positive weight management and managing diabetes..
Enjoy A Creative Process
Gardening & Art requires the use of the hands, head & heart, which can be a transformative experience
Improve Health & Wellbeing
Sowing seeds and working with live plants is psychologically proven to help reduce stress, restore a sense of wellbeing and make you feel happier
Learn How You Can Help Nature
Growing plants & flowers from seeds provides vital food sources for our native bees & insects and helps restore our vital biodiversity
"Using this fantastic horticultural therapy box has been a transformative experience and changed my views on how to use my garden for my health and fitness. It felt like I had a personal assistant in the garden guiding me on how to grow from seed. The easy to follow activity guides showed me how amazing and interesting seeds are to grow."
- Professor Desmond Evans OBE
Created by UK Occupational Therapists to optimise your wellbeing
POP BOX contains activities which cover the most valued benefits of therapeutic horticulture including a therapeutic process that has a meaningful end product.
- Increase Energy Levels & Motivation
- Improve Mood
- Experience Fulfilment & Success
- Reduce Anxiety
- Improve Focus & Concentration
- Connect with Nature & Others
- Increase Confidence & Self-Esteem
- Develop Vocational Skills
Registered with the Health & Care Professions Council since 2003